Have you had it with hummus? Try these fun spins on the traditional chickpeas-lemon-oil-garlic combo. Let the hummus Renaissance begin!
A few times a year, I go through phases where I feel like I don’t even want to see hummus ever again. Hummus is everywhere, and it’s easy to get tired of any food you’re eating again and again. These hummus recipes will bust you out of your hummus rut! Traditional hummus is made from chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice and olive oil, but the definition has expanded to include an array of flavors and even different beans.
There are lots of reasons to love hummus besides how delicious and versatile it is. Chickpeas, the most common base for any hummus recipe, are packed with fiber, protein and micronutrients. Read all about the health benefits of chickpeas here.
1. Roasted Red Pepper Hummus – Smoky, sweet roasted peppers add a nice flavor dimension and vibrant color to your everyday hummus. And it only takes 15 minutes to make!
2. Roasted Garlic and Harissa Hummus – Spicy harissa—a blend of hot chilis, cumin, coriander and other deep seasonings—takes conventional hummus to the next level.
3. Brownie Batter Dessert Hummus – I’ve seen dessert hummus recipes floating around and always thought they sounded kind of gross, but Mel’s brownie batter spread is fantastic. Take the leap. You won’t regret it!
4. Barbecue White Bean Hummus – Sweet-and-smoky barbecue sauce with creamy white beans make this oil free dip taste super decadent.
5. Roasted Carrot White Bean Hummus – Roasted carrots bring the sweet and add a little extra umami oomph to this white bean hummus recipe.
6. Yellow Split Pea Hummus – Yellow split peas yield a hummus that’s extra light and fluffy.
7. Edamame Hummus – Edamame, toasted sesame oil, and sesame seeds are an Asian spin on your standard hummus.
8. Pumpkin Hummus – Pumpkin puree adds a fall twist on your hummus, and it gives it a really velvety texture that I guarantee you’re going to love.
9. Roasted Fennel Hummus – If you’re a fan of fennel, definitely give this hummus recipe a try! It has a lovely, complex flavor that leaves you wanting more.
10. Roasted Parsnip Hummus – What can I say? Roasted veggies are a great way to make hummus special. If you’ve never had parsnips, think of them as supercarrots.
11. Pistachio Pomegranate Hummus – Sweet pomegranate seeds balance out the earthy flavor of the chickpeas and nutty pistachios in this surprisingly easy hummus recipe.
12. Moroccan Spiced Pumpkin Hummus – This is another spin on pumpkin hummus featuring deep, Moroccan spices like cinnamon and coriander.
13. Spicy Mexican Hummus – You’ll never believe that this flavorful, rich hummus is totally oil free.
14. Sweet-and-Spicy Hummus with Peas and Mint – What is it about that combination of sweet, spicy and savory that makes anything so good?
15. Spinach and Black Bean Hummus – Earthy spinach and salty black olives make this black bean hummus extra special.
16. Broccoli Hummus – This recipe combines two of my favorite foods: broccoli and hummus! It’s dip perfection.
17. Cauliflower Hummus – Cruciferious veggies and hummus are a match made in dippy heaven! I’d love to serve this alongside the broccoli hummus above at my next party.
18. Black Bean Hummus – This black bean hummus gets an extra protein punch and smooth, creamy texture from silken tofu.
All images via recipe authors, used with permission.